Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Final Blog about the Class

I really enjoyed this class and thought that we covered many important topics whether they were related to the history of African Americans or contemporary culture. This class really opened my eyes up to certain things and I feel that people would be lying if they said they didn't learn anything this whole semester. I really liked how the class started with the history of African American culture to make sure that everybody was on the same page, and then progressed to contemporary African American culture. I think the most interesting thing I learned are the meanings behind black cultural expressive forms in dance, sports, and art. I wish that we could have incorporated and talked more about African American culture in 2009 instead of in the 90's. I also wish that we could have watched more black comedy sitcoms such as "Girlfriends", as well as discussed the issues with our presidency now and what that means to African Americans as a race today. Overall though, I really think that for the amount of material we covered it was substantial and important to cover in a limited number of classes. Again, I really enjoyed this class and I feel it has made me more aware of things surrounding the African American community and culture. Thanks for making this class interesting and worthwhile Professor Whaley!

No comments:

Post a Comment