Thursday, May 7, 2009

Final Blog Question

I really enjoyed this entire class. Because it was an introductory class we weren't able to go too in depth on all subjects but we were able to go over so much in such a short amount of time. Of all topics we covered in class, my favorite section regarded slavery, the technologies of slavery, and the important roles gender, class, and race played in it. I liked that unit the best because slavery is something we all have read and learned about since elementary school but every year we are taught the same story. Finding out that the slave experience was not universal and was much worse that I had known was unbelievable for me. Especially watching the short film on lynchings online, I realized I had no clue how terrible slavery and it's aftermath were.
After our unit on slavery and Reconstruction, my next favorite time in class was when we discussed the Black Panthers. Again, during that unit I realized I'd heard about the subject for many years of my life but had the wrong idea the entire time. The Black Panthers and the Black Panther Movement have such a bad rap so it was very eye opening and surprising to learn the roots of the movement were filled with good intentions.
All in all, Introduction to African-American Culture was better than I thought it would be. I'm very pleased with all the topics regarding African-American Culture we were able to cover. I knew there was more to it than Martin Luther King, Jr., the Civil Rights Movement, and Hip-Hop. Although I did enjoy learning more about the mentioned topics, I most enjoyed learning about the people and issues I wouldn't have ever known without this class. Good Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment