Sunday, May 3, 2009

Final Blog question

What is the most important concept you have learned in this class? What do you still wish you knew more about?

I think the most important concept I learned this semester was the complexity of the subject.  I didn't realize how sheltered I was until I took this course.  African-American culture is a distinct concept that's, in part, a subdivision of American culture.  It was interesting to study how it developed through various historical events and figures over the years.  And there's no definite line as to what's acceptable in media when it comes to African-American culture in the media (like with Chris Rock, or the Sarah Silverman example discussed in class).  I felt this was important to discuss in class but was frustrated that I don't have enough background to develop a strongly thought out opinion of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment