Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Final Blog

I feel the most important thing I learned during this class is the diversity of blackness. As is well known, so many times throughout our society's history the dominant white culture has attempted to subjugate African Americans by stereotyping and categorizing them. Furthermore, as we saw in Black Is, Black Ain't, there are also many African Americans who attempt to rigidly categorize blackness and therefore feel that some African Americans aren't as "black" as they should be. Nevertheless, throughout this class, we learned that blackness is a diverse concept that does not discriminate according to things such as class or sexuality. In addition, one thing I wish I knew more about is African-American history after the Civil Rights and Black Power movements. I would still like to learn and know more about African-American history during the 1980s and 1990s and events such as the LA Riots.

No comments:

Post a Comment