Thursday, May 7, 2009

Last Blog Question

I've learned a lot over the semester, but the thing I would say I appreciated the most was the knowledge of how the past is so relevant to knowing about the future of African Americans. I am brought back to the film we watched called Black Is Black Ain't and the young boys who were saying, "What does knowing about Martin Luther King have to do with me getting a job?" Through this class I've learned that it does and also that it's not just Martin Luther King. I've learned that Black History does skip from slavery to the Civil Right Movement to today, that it was all the things in between that can give us a better understanding of who we are today. This class has really taught me the value of learning about those things (such as the idea of masculinity, and the struggles of GLBT blacks around the nation, etc.) because without an understanding of why they have come about, we can't work towards change.

-Briana Byrd

No comments:

Post a Comment